Being Argentinian, one of the types of food that I’m most picky about is meat. Fortunately, living in Miami Beach means never having to worry about finding good steak, as restaurants that specialize in this dish are quite abundant. From waterfront classics, to ritzy celebrity hot spots, you can say that the steak scene at the beach is pretty exciting. However, even though these Miami landmarks are known for the scene and the view, one player stands out from the crowd for focusing on one thing, and one thing only: the meat. Enter RED, the Steakhouse. This restaurant is one of the few in the US and the only one in Miami that can boast that all their cuts are Certified Angus Beef Prime (the highest quality of beef available) and in the 1.5% of the best meat in the country.
Even though this South Beach high-end steakhouse has been around for more than 5 years, I just got a chance to try it recently, and oh boy, what a treat that was. There are several must-try dishes in their menu, in addition to the meat, and up next, I’ve narrowed it down to my favorite five:
- The Burratta and Heirloom Tomatoes salad makes a great choice to start the meal with. The burrata is one of the finest ones I’ve ever tasted, it spreads like butter over the tomatoes, and is drizzled with 25 year old, incredibly rich and sweet balsamic vinegar, which takes the dish to a whole new level.
- Even though RED prides itself on their steak, their seafood is also something to keep an eye on. In my case, I tried the Alaskan King Crab Cake, which had the biggest chunks of crab I’ve ever had in this type of dish. This item is only available during the short fresh king crab season, during which they fly it directly from Alaska, so take advantage of it while it lasts.
- Obviously, the meat had to make it on the list! The Rib Eye is slightly crispy on top and oh-so-tender inside that you can just practically slice it with the side of your fork. The chef also makes sure to prepare it as simple as possible, with just some fresh crack black pepper and kosher salt, allowing one to enjoy the full flavor of the meat without any distractions.
- The sides are also showstoppers, particularly the mac and cheese, which is made with not one, but six different types of cheese! Also, the local creamed corn with cornbread crumbs is an absolute masterpiece. Fresh corn shucked off the cob combined with sweet corm cream makes it a perfect steak house side dish.
- Last but not least, when it comes to dessert my favorite was the deconstructed key lime pie. It was the perfect balance of sweet and tart and a nice way to end the meal.
RED, The Steakhouse: 119 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139