Sunday, August 17, 2014

Hillstone's Review: Best Salad & Burger in Miami


Thai Steak & Noodle Salad
Few places in Miami have the unique, and highly sought-after, ability to serve you a perfect meal every time. Hillstone, in Coral Gables, has that ability.  My family and I have been coming to this place regularly for over a decade, and their food, as well as their service, have been impeccable, perfect and consistent in every single visit.

Formerly known as 'Houston’s', Hillstone is a casual, American restaurant that has become a favorite and a classic among Miamians. The place has a great scene and is perennially busy with stylish, corporate types for lunch, good-looking singles for happy hour, and fancy Miami families on the weekends. Needless to say, no matter when you chose to go, there will always be a long wait, but trust me, it will be worth it.

The right way to start your perfect meal at Hillstone is with a mojito. Theirs, like most of the menu, is simple and classic. Not too sweet, not too strong, with just the right kick, and always refreshing. 

The perfect Mojito
Once you are all set with your drink, I highly recommend starting with their artichoke & spinach dip, or if you are dining at their Coral Gables location, the coconut shrimp sushi, which is one my favorite rolls in the city and always made fresh in their own sushi bar.

The sushi bar, only available at the Coral Gables location.
Even though most people usually gravitate towards the steak, I beg you: please don’t. Don’t get me wrong. Their steak is phenomenal, and if you are in the mood, by all means, go for it. But there are a few other, often-ignored, gems in the menu that are even better and more unique. Case in point: the Thai Steak & Noodle Salad. Hmmm… just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Let me tell you, I find the word “salad” in the name to be very deceiving, as the main characters are the noodles and the filet mignon, served with peanuts, fresh mint, mango and avocados. This is hands down my favorite salad in the world, and no matter how much other restaurants try to imitate it, Hillstone’s will always be the best.

Another great choice are the burgers, which are simple but perfect and oh-so-juicy, served with skinny, crispy fries. My favorite one is the Hickory Burger, served with Canadian bacon, chopped cheddar cheese and hickory sauce.

Finally, if you are dining at the location in Coral Gables, you absolutely must leave space for their signature Tres Leches. Being a chocoholic, I don’t usually bother with desserts that don’t have chocolate as a main ingredient, but this Tres Leches happens to be the exception to my rule. It is everything it's supposed to be: spongy, moist, not too sweet, and served with the most amazing whipped cream and caramel on top. It is so good, that I always end up having to ask for a spoon to clean up all the delicious juices and sweet sauces left on the plate. I simply refuse to let go of it!

My favorite sushi roll in Miami: Hilstone's coconut shrimp roll.
A lighter option: the salmon burger
Grilled branzino with buttermilk sauce and stuffed baked potato.
Cortadito, a must with dessert.
The Tres Leches!

Hillstone: 201 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Miami FL 


Hillstone on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment